It’s the greatest time of year where you’ve put away the sweaters and brought out the tank tops! We know you are so excited to spend your days outside in the summer sun, but do you have proper protection? Spending more time outside means more exposure to harmful UV rays from the sun. These UV rays can cause sunburns, hyperpigmentation (dark spots on the skin) and skin cancer, a real bummer to your summer. Here are our tips for protecting your skin this summer.
1) SPF: SPF is your BFF all year round but especially in the summer months. Sunscreen creates a barrier on the skin and protects you from those harmful UV. (Try Screen with SPF 30). For your SPF to work it’s best it’s important to reapply every two hours. It is also important to remember to pack your SPF on your beach days as your skin is more likely to burn when wet or oily.
P.S If you’re looking for a JLO glow on your beach days try our tinted version of Screen!
2) Wash off your SPF: After your day in the summer sun, it’s important wash off your sunscreen. Your SPF has worked hard to protect your skin but if you don’t take the proper steps to take it off, it can clog your pores and cause acne. To make sure your skin stays both sunburn free and clear, use an oil cleanser (try ALT) to break down your SPF before bed.
3) Stay hydrated: Now that the temperatures are rising drinking lots of water and staying hydrated is even more important. Drinking water will help keep you cool and prevent dehydration. It will also help replace fluids you lose from sweating and help you recover if you happen to get a sunburn.
P.S Staying hydrating is important both inside and out. Try our Hydrate Vitamin Moisturizer. The anti-oxidants will feed the skin and help protect against UV rays and the vitamin C will help lighten any hyperpigmentation caused by the sun.
4) Proper rest: It’s important to listen to your body and give yourself proper rest when needed. In the warmer months you are more likely to suffer from dehydration and heat exhaustion. On extra hot days relax under a shaded area and be sure to take sun breaks indoors. We know it’s hard to stay away from the sun when you have been waiting for it all year, but your body will thank you for taking the proper rest it needs.
5) Remember your vital vitamins: As mentioned the vital vitamins in Hydrate will help you build proper protection from the sun’s UV rays. Vital vitamins can also help you recover from UV damage. Vitamin A (found in Reset) can help speed up skin healing after a sunburn.
Bonus sunburn healing tip: If you get a sunburn be sure to treat it by applying Reset as well as applying our soothing mask CTRL overnight. This combination will soothe red, inflamed skin and will help you recover.
Remember to protect your summer with these easy to follow tips!